Are the actors of colour who are bit players on Riverdale only used in times of convenience? Will we ever get to see them as fully actualized characters, or are they forever doomed to be the sidekicks? Chanda and Cecily shine a light on the sketchy way Chuck Clayton’s character is drawn in the series, whether it makes sense that Josie isn’t the star of the upcoming musical episode (UGH), and how Toni Topaz’s ambiguous ethnic coding opens up new possibilities for the series. Plus, news, insights, and borderline inappropriate thirsting over characters, all from your favourite Riverdale podcast.
- Since when is Chuck Clayton Archie’s biggest rival? In the comic, Chuck Clayton was a benevolent yet largely empty character who only existed to represent a kind of respectable blackness. Now he serves as the show’s go-to representation of toxic masculinity.
- Penelope Blossom is going to open a brothel. If she doesn’t, I’ll eat my microphone (Cecily).
The Wrestler is a 2008 American sports drama film co-produced and directed by Darren Aronofsky, written by Robert D. Siegel, and starring Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, and Evan Rachel Wood. Rourke plays an aging professional wrestler who, despite his failing health and waning fame, continues to wrestle in an attempt to cling to the success of his 1980s heyday. He also tries to mend his relationship with his estranged daughter and to find romance with a woman who works as a stripper. (via Wikipedia)
This week’s episode was directed by Gregg Araki, a Japanese American director who is best known for being part of the New Queer Cinema vanguard of the 1990s, a growing movement comprised of young LGBT independent filmmakers. He’s best known for three films that are called his “Teen Apocalypse Trilogy”: Totally Fucked Up, The Doom Generation, and Nowhere, which one critic called “a trifecta of teen alienation, hazy sexuality and aggression.1“
- ‘Riverdale’ Actress Hayley Law Joins Katherine Langford In ‘Spontaneous’ (Deadline)
- ‘Riverdale’ Sets Musical Episode Around Stephen King Classic ‘Carrie’ (Variety)
- Werewolf Jughead vs. Betty Cooper Round 2! Preview the new Archie Comics releases for 1/24/18 (Archie Comics)
- Intro/Outro – Good Morning by LAKEY INSPIRED · Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported— CC BY-SA 3.0 · Music provided by Music for Creators